Thursday

BOOKS THAT SHOULD BE MOVIES

How great is it that the "Hunger Games" series is being made into a movie! While I was reading that book, I just knew this story had to be seen on the big screen. Although it’s really a disturbing concept, it was one that was very unique and well thought out. Why couldn’t I have thought of it? I am pleased to see that most of the actors in that movie are basically unknowns. I hope they are ready for what starring in that movie is going to do for their lives from here on out!

With all the wonderful books that authors create, why does the movie industry keep insisting on remaking some movies over and over and over. And now they are even reshowing some of the same movies on the big screen again. For instance, Titanic is once again on the big screen. Why not use their money to make something new? I admit, I loved the Titanic, however I will probably NEVER watch it again as I thought the parts where the boat sinks and the people are flying off the boat to their deaths way too disturbing. I really don’t want to watch real life death scenes happen over and over again.

I would love to see some more of V.C. Andrews series made into a movie. "Flowers in the Attic" was made into a movie many years ago but I have never seen it reran again. I wonder who makes the choices on what movies to show over and over on TV? I watch a lot of the Lifetime channel on the weekends but get so sick of the same movies on all the time. There has got to be millions of movies on the shelves, so why not pick something that hasn’t already been shown 5,000 times!! 

And when was the last time you saw a good love story on the big screen that wasn’t a romantic comedy? I can’t even remember. I think the last good one I saw was “The Notebook” and that was several years ago. Why not make some of Johanna Lindsey’s romantic books into movies? She was once my favorite author because of her knack for creating such great romantic characters. Her books used to be some that I just couldn’t put down. I fell in love with many of her men characters. And whoever created some of her book covers… ooh la laaa! When I was younger, I used to stare at some of those men on her covers for hours.

Another book I would love to see on the big screen is Dave Pelzer’s book series starting with “A Child Called It.” His is a true story of the abuse he suffered from his mother as a child and his journey from one foster family to the next. I don’t think that child ever received a day of love from his parents or grandparents. I believe his story is a true testament that people can survive in the worst of circumstances if they put their minds to it and forgive. I truly don’t know where he got the strength to carry on and end up living a normal, productive life and I think Hollywood should show his story to the world. His books are so sad and upsetting, but they are real life and after I read the very last one, I did feel strength. If he can pick himself up and become an author and speaker on top of living a normal family life, than anyone can.

Those are just a few of the books I’d love to see made into movies. What about you? Do you have any favorites that you think deserve to be shown to the world?

16 comments:

  1. I was also so excited when I saw that The Hunger Games, was being made into a movie. I can't wait to see it. Yay!

    I dont understand the re-release to theaters of the movies lately either. Why would I spend $60 to see a movie in the theater that I have sitting at home on DVD? The Lion King....Titanic.... I dont get it.

    ctny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see Adam Rex's middle grade sci fi novel, The True Meaning of Smek Day, made into a movie. The fact that Disney owns his publisher gives me hope that it may actually happen! Who knows, maybe it's in the works right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allyn,
    I agree with you. Why all these remakes? Doesn't Hollywood read books anymore? You know, Barbara Delinksy's romances would make good movies. I would like to see them take another stab at turning the YA series called Inheart into 3 movies. They tried to do a movie of it once & they butchered the books. These 3 novels would have been a fantastic series if they'd done several films (like three) as the did for the Harry Potter series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Allyn! Why should I pay to see movies I've alread purchased? There are so many books I'd like to see as movies...geez,I don't know where I'd begin : D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie,

      Maybe that's why they do so many remakes? It's easier and not so overwhelming. I can't imagine it would be an easy job to pick which stories should be made into movies.

      Delete
  5. Courtney,

    I don't get it either. However, when I think about it there are maybe two movie's I would pay to see on the big screen again and those are A Star is Born with Barbra Streisand and The Wizard of Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Anne, I'd say since Disney owns his publisher we might someday see it on the big screen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb,

    You are so right. I think Jude Devereaux's books would make good movies too. Hollywood... get your books out and read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The one that immediately comes to mind is Charles Dickens's "Barnaby Rudge." It'd be a great movie. But often, people tend to pick Oliver Twist, I don't know why ...

    I watched The Notebook. Gosh, what a beautiful story-turned-film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Oliver Twist but never read Barnaby Rudge. I do think though that anything written by Charles Dickens is sure to make a great movie.

      Delete
  9. I want to see the rest of the Percy Jackson books made into movies. I love that series. Also Hex Hall would be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always wanted to see The Secret of the Unicorn Queen series turned into a TV show.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blog - Flowers in the Attic made me so sad. I didn't watch it until I was an adult. I'm a big fan of books into movies and movies based on true stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CourtneyJo! Flowers in the Attic is definitely a tear jerker but that's probably what made it so good.

      Delete