Thursday

Is Organization and Planning a Hindrance?

Today, I am driving myself even more nutzo than normal. I have no choice but to confess… that I am an organizational nut! I have to have things organized. I have to have things planned. I’m not a complete “freak” about the organizational aspect, as far as keeping things neat etc., but I MUST know where things are or how they need to be. But I might be a little “freaky” about the planning thing. I go nuts when things aren’t planned well. I worry, then worry some more, and keep on worrying. Everything usually works out just fine in the long run, but in the meantime, I’ve worried about it 24/7.
I think I may have inherited some of this from my mother (I’ll blame her anyway). She likes to have every minute of her day planned out as well and sometimes gets very bent out of shape if things don’t go according to plan. I find that I do that a lot as well. I get really nervous when a friend asks me to do something spur of the moment or even when my husband comes home from work and says, “let’s go out to dinner.” WHAT!!!??? I didn’t plan that!!” Geez, why can’t I just chill and go with the flow! Sometimes I really think it prevents me from enjoying a lot of life.
My office is getting ready to move to a new building and I have been keeping myself up at night worrying about how everything will work. I wonder who will pack this, who will pack that, how will we move this? And I really have no control over it so why do I worry?
Maybe that’s why I feel right at home when I’m writing. I have full control and can plan every aspect of the story. I can organize it exactly how I see fit. I can plan on what day I will write and which story I will work on!  Of course it doesn’t always work out as planned but I still feel as though I have full control and can just readjust my planning! Are most writer’s “freaky, obsessed organizers and planners?” I’m curious  to see what you think?

10 comments:

  1. I try to plan everything but usually my characters have other ideas in their heads and they win out in the end. Apart from writing, well--it's pretty much the same. I attempt to plan everything. It usually doesn't work out that way, but I still do it. So I'm right there with you, Allyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same way here! When someone throws something unexpected in at the last moment I freak out (but I usually can quickly get myself under control!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the opposite - I'm a pantser. I have been trying more planny-type stuff for my latest project, but I like sitting down with an idea and a blank screen to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't plan many things during the day, but I do thoroughly plot my stories. My husband wishes I could be more organized at home. Maybe some structure will spill from my writing and into my daily life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie,
    I'm like that too. I can usually quickly get myself under control but I still panic inside!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellen,
    More times than not, that's exactly how I've written a story. I get an idea in my head, sit down to the empty screen and write the whole story. However, when I don't have much time, that's when I like to plan and write down an outline. Otherwise if I don't do that, I'll totally forget the whole idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elisabeth,
    Sounds like you are totally opposite of me. I do plot stories sometimes, but mostly not! When I don't have much time, I do sit down and outline but my best stories so far have been those that I just sat down and wrote!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm definitely a planner. I feel out of sorts and physically ill if I don't feel organized or in control!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I am getting worse with this as I age. I used to be a "pantser" but as time goes on I find I plan more and organize more to the point I am driving my family nuts with me. Hope your movie is progressing quickly and you can get "bck to normal" soon.

    ctny
    www.ctnyrene.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. In life, I am a planner. Although I am consciously trying to lighten up and take things as they come. Seems like a way to reduce stress, to me.
    In writing, I go with the flow and enjoy the freedom of not following an outline or a preplanned plot.

    ReplyDelete