Thursday

ONE SUBMISSION AT A TIME


I hear about and meet a lot of people that want to write a book. They seem amazed that I could and actually did get a book published (I am too!). I can tell in their eyes that when they ask me how I did it, they want me to say, “well I just wrote a story and sent it in!”

Truthfully, that is what happened, however not until I did at least 1 year worth of research on writing children’s picture books, enrolled in a children’s writing course, and sent in manuscript after manuscript. Getting published in children’s magazines is not very profitable, if at all, however I believe it helped me get a book published much quicker. Many writers I know won't submit to magazines or small presses because they feel they are a waste of time. However, I think I’m living proof that having a few things you can put on your writing resume makes a publisher see that you are serious about your craft. Plus, just seeing your name in print, whether it’s a magazine, an article in the newspaper or newsletter, is a great boost to anyone’s writing ego. And let’s face it, we need to keep our ego’s going or we are doomed for failure.

The bottom line is if you are a writer who is afraid to submit, then you will quite possibly never see yourself published. I admit, it really is hard to get the confidence in yourself and your writing to actually start submitting it. But, if you go in to it with a positive attitude and believe in your story, then even if you get a rejection at least you can sit back and say you tried. And it will give you the courage to try again and again until your dream finally comes true. Persistence is the name of the game when it comes to anything you really want, and especially in getting your work published.

So if you are one of those writers who are afraid to submit, I challenge you to get out that favorite story you’ve written, edit it the best you can and send it out. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing so! Just take it one submission at a time. Goodluck!






23 comments:

  1. Good advice, Allyn, and true for life in general. You'll never get near any goal if you don't jump in and try for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice, Allyn. Something we all need reminding of from time to time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie,

      That's why I wrote this post. I needed to remind MYSELF!

      Delete
  3. Very good post, Allyn. You'll never know if you don't try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very true, Allyn. Writing is a passion. It would be great if it paid, but it begins by having the ambition to pursue what you love. However, while it's hard to get published, it's not possible at all unless you try. We look to people like you for our inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genilee,

      You really hit the nail on the head and thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  5. Im not afraid to submit but if the process could just be less frustrating...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,

      Ha ha... so true but guess we have to just keep on dreamin'.

      Delete
  6. Like Mariah said,and like I used to tell my children,"you never know till you try."

    I find the submission process frustrating too, but it has to be done. Writing the piece is hard enough. Getting it all ready to mail is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick,

      You are right. The actual submission process is not a joy but most paperwork isnt, right! And it's just one more thing us writers have to grin and bear. LOL

      Delete
  7. Allyn, this is the first time that I read your blog...and this was the exact right entry for me to read. I need to emboss these words in my brain...you might get it published if you submit it somewhere, but you definitely won't get it published if you don't! Just submit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey,

      Oh I'm so happy you got something out of my post. All of us writers need to be reminded of things like this all the time and emboss them in all our brains!!

      Delete
  8. Submitting is not easy, but well worth the risk. It helps you develop a thick skin, and I'm of the firm belief that if you keep working at it, keep improving your writing and keep submitting, you will eventually get that coveted "Yes!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie,

    Very well said and so true!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very true, Allyn. People don't realise how hard it is to actually submit until they try it themselves, but if you never do, you'll never get published. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained", right? I've been working on losing the fear and shipping out my stories for other people to read. If people like it, that's great and if they don't... I'll cry myself to sleep :) I still need to work on that dealing with rejection bit.

    I'm a new follower. I found your blog via bookblogs. My blog is nickieanderson.blogspot.com
    I hope you'll drop by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nickie,

    Thanks for joining, I've now joined your blog as well.

    The more you submit the more rejections will get a bit easier. They will always hurt, especially for stories you really love, but I try to look at it this way. At least I know and don't have to wait any longer. And it makes me pick up the manuscript and work to make it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went backwards reading your blogs, but I'm caught up. You delight me. The pictures you find are always entertaining. Love this one too. And what you have to say is always right on the money. If we want to succeed we have to believe in ourselves and put our work out there. I'm glad you keep pushing forward. You are a great author of children's books. The world will see as each come out and more behind them. Keep it up, Allyn!!

    ReplyDelete